The Bernatz Law Office: Offering Individualized Estate Planning And Probate Services
Most people realize that they need an estate plan. Unfortunately, it is often too easy to put off planning for the future to another day. Many Minnesotans have no plan in place, while others may have an outdated plan that does not appropriately reflect today’s family dynamics and assets.
I am Michael D. Bernatz, lead attorney at Bernatz Law Office in Winona, and I pride myself on helping individuals and families find peace of mind in estate planning and probate matters.
Get The Estate Plan You Need – Without Unnecessary Add-Ons
Estate planning is important for men and women in all walks and stages of life. Parents of young children can select a guardian to raise their children rather than leaving that decision up to the court system. Individuals can provide their loved ones with guidance and tools to avoid the strife associated with disputes over health care decisions if they become incapacitated.
My philosophy is simple. I focus on your goals and best interests so I can create tailored plans to achieve results without costly add-ons that can dilute an estate. Because of my extensive experience, I can answer your questions and explain the options you may have to achieve your goals.
I am well-prepared to guide you through the steps to protect your family in all aspects of estate planning and probate matters, including:
- Wills: Writing a will can give you peace of mind that your assets will be distributed according to your wishes. A will is invaluable for parents of young children. A will can give parents a voice concerning who should raise their children should they pass away unexpectedly.
- Trusts: Trusts are flexible tools that can protect assets and facilitate the transfer of wealth. However, trusts are not for everyone. Funding, managing and unraveling a trust can be costly. I will explain your legal options in detail, including whether creating a trust is appropriate for your unique circumstances.
- Advance directives: Minnesota law allows you to memorialize your health care preferences and appoint a health care agent to make decisions on your behalf should you be unable to speak for yourself. A health care directive combines the purposes of a living will and a power of attorney for health care decisions.
- Durable powers of attorney: A financial power of attorney allows you to appoint a person you trust to manage your financial concerns during a period of incapacity. A medical emergency can impact your personal life in many ways. The inability to manage your finances due to an accident, an injury or another emergency can put your house in jeopardy. You can authorize an agent to make financial decisions on your behalf, including providing access to your bank account to pay your mortgage.
- Elder law concerns: I am well-versed in advance planning matters. With life expectancies increasing, the need for advance medical assistance planning is vital for many families. I help families address elder law matters and craft solutions directly related to the needs of each client.
- Probate and estate administration: Losing a loved one is never easy, and I understand that. I consider myself to be an incredibly compassionate lawyer who works with families, personal representatives and executors to administer estates. My guidance will allow you to focus on what is most important – moving through this difficult time together with your loved ones as a family.
Let Me Help You Plan For Your Family’s Future
Whether you need a simple will, a complex estate plan or assistance administering an estate, I, attorney Michael Bernatz, will use my financial acuity and legal experience in estate planning to help you gain the advantage you need to protect your legacy. To arrange a confidential consultation to discuss your concerns, send me an email or call my office in Winona at 507-457-9808. I offer flexible scheduling, and you can arrange to have me come to you if you are not able to travel to downtown Winona.